Friday, January 23, 2004

I'm at that half-way age

A few of my friends are married, but most aren't - one is divorced already, but that's the isle of wight for you - a couple have had long-term serious relationships that ended and the rest are single or single-ish. Along the way the animator and I somehow became the poster kids for matrimony amongst my friends (his friends are on the other side of the world and are married and suburban, we're married and urbane - hopefully). I get quizzed on what it's like this marriage thing and chaps, I'm sorry to disappoint, but its much the same as cohabiting really. I guess there is an extra level of commitment, but really if we wanted to split we would. And, actually, that's a decision made daily. I try to explain that to friends but they never seem to understand. Yes I love being married, however, it is not what I thought it would be - there's no guarantees. That makes it more meaningful, of course, and more fragile.

No comments: