Wednesday, March 03, 2004

In the precious moment
I've been watching the LoTR extended DVD extras, yes I'm that much of a fangirl. Actors are a funny bunch of people in that they have an incredible facility for absorption, sometimes self-absorption. Over the course of blah many hours of documentary footage and interviews one thing stayed with me: Orlando Bloom's praise of another actor's perfomance. Bloom said that he was, "totally in the moment".
In the moment is an idea I've been toying with for the last few days. We should all be in the moment shouldn't we, where else is there to be? Children do this: they are completely absorbed by the present, by what is happening now. Me, on the other hand, I'm always questioning the future (from the cripplingly serious "what happens if I don't find a job?" to the banal "what am I going to have for lunch?") or interrogating and remembering the past (was I right to quit? Life was so much better when we were both working...).
Why do we do this to ourselves? Despite the way our minds trick us, it is impossible to time travel, so why is the idea of living in the moment so strange? Of course, to do otherwise is actually to waste the moment. And I often do waste not just moments but whole hours either trying to recreate the past or second-guess the future. It is exhausting! I don't want to waste life - it is far too precious for that.
Come to think of it, it's my precioussssss.
---
The second meaning of 'precious' has just occured to me. I'm sure all of the above is nothing new to you and perhaps I am sounding precious to be writing about this... But to hell with it, it bears repeating.

No comments: