Tuesday, April 27, 2004

the blind leading the...
I was walking through The Regent's Park (not, as I had previously thought, Regent's Park but The Regent's Park, how odd) when I saw a blind man walking his guidedog. Now I know what you're thinking: this is hardly front-page news, blind people do walk with guidedogs, that's the whole point of guidedogs. But you'd be wrong, this guidedog was off duty! The chap was walking along with his white stick and holding his dog's harness while the dog - with large tinkling bell attached to its collar - was behaving like any dog on holiday would. I've never seen an off-duty guidedog before. Guidedogs are the sober, world-weary, conservative, reliable members of the canine world; it never occured to me that they got time off to be normal, happy-go-lucky, frolicksome dogs. I grinned all the way home.

No comments: