Saturday, April 10, 2004

Spires of St Pancras
The animator and I are going to take a tour of the Midland hotel above St Pancras Station today - it would be rather remiss of us if we didn't, seeing as the blue-grey roof tiles and red-brick exterior are what fills our eyes as we open and close the blind each day. In fact, I use the clock to check the time more often that I do our alarm clock.
Works have been ongoing to modernise the station and to make it into a Eurostar terminal. I walked up York Rd the other day and was astounded by the scale of the building work - it covers almost a square mile. What I hadn't realised is that St Pancras is set to lose as much as it is gaining, not least its name.
I have a great fondness for the station and it's grandeur and would echo Sir John Betjeman:

"What he sees in his mind's eye is that cluster of towers and pinnacles seen from Pentonville Hill and outlined against a foggy sunset, and the great arc of Barlow's train shed gaping to devour incoming engines, and the sudden burst of the exuberant Gothic of the hotel seen from gloomy Judd Street."

However, I take exception to Judd St being called gloomy.

No comments: