Thursday, June 03, 2004

frugality: the final frontier
There's so much to say on this subject and my feelings are pretty mixed up, but essentially it boils down to this: after several months of no income, and a year or more before that of living on one low income, I'm beginning to see a faint light at the end of a very long, dark tunnel of debt. What I need now is the discipline to start making progress, first back to zero and then to start serious saving. The last couple of days I've been reorganising finances and examining spending - never a fun task - I've set up the budgeting function on Microsoft Money and reread The Complete Tightwad Gazette for inspiration. TA and I do have different values and ways of approaching money management, which can cause friction (particularly when one of us is breadwinning and the other one is supplementing our joint income), and we both have a tendency to be extravagant. However, if I can just be strict with myself and lead by example I think things might just start looking up. In fact, this might be a good direction for this blog to take as for the last few days I've been wondering what to write about now that it is the job hunt topic that is redundant rather than me. As always, comments are welcome.

No comments: