Monday, June 14, 2004

out of fashion
Is it me or are the shops playing cruel tricks on women? Last summer the shops were full of trash-eighties-revival tat so I didn't buy any new clothes, even though I needed some. This year is better, but the majority of what's on offer is still unwearable: crazy prints, polka dots and bows seem to predominate. TA and I spent five hours looking for my summer workwear yesterday. Bear in mind the following: we're on a limited budget; I'm a very tall size 12 (8 US) with big hips; I'm not a teenager but neither am I ready for a twinset and pearls; I want smart shoes I can walk in (no pointy toes or skinny heels). After scouring Covent Garden and Oxford St I found a top I like (Country Casuals - price reduced), a skirt that's very similar to one I already own (M&S linen), a dress that is a flattering cut (but the print is nothing special) (Rocha at Debenhams), and a top that's a nice colour but I'm not sure I like (Kaliko - price reduced). Oh and I remembered why I only ever shop in sales. I may go back to Muji and pick up a couple of tops at a later date - I like their functional aesthetic, but the prices are ridiculous. For reference, I think tops should cost no more than £25, bottoms no more that £35 and dresses no more than £45, ideally shoes should be under £30 - although I try to get all these things for much less - also I prefer mid-range labels: Kaliko, Jesire, Coast, Next and M&S for basics and sometimes Monsoon. I'm not one of these women that can find treasures in Topshop, Zara and H&M - these clothes always look as though they'll fall apart in the wash. WHY can't shopping be easy? Do other women really want to look like Minnie Mouse this summer?

No comments: