Friday, July 30, 2004

monkey puzzle
What follows is a transcript of a dinnertime conversation between myself and TA...
Me: Frankie totally kicked my butt today. He made me laugh while I was on the treadmill and I nearly fell off, again.
TA: [chuckles]
Me: He's evil.
TA: He's supposed to be. You pay him to kick your butt.
Me: He made me balance on the swiss medicine ball again and this time I was supposed to throw a heavy ball at him. I was really worried that there was going to be catching involved too, but luckily it was just throwing.
TA: You can catch you know, I've seen you.
Me: No I can't. They were flukes.
TA: Yes, you can catch as long as you're not thinking about it.
Me: No, sometimes I think really hard about it and manage to catch, most times I miss. I'm not an escapee from Awakenings, I can't catch. You know what they say...
TA: What?
Me: About flukes - an infinite number of monkeys with an infinite number of typewriters would produce the works of Shakespeare.
TA: [scoffing] No they wouldn't.
Me: You can't prove it. For all you know Shakespeare was a monkey, a gifted monkey with a typewriter who got lucky. Actually, you can prove the bit about the typewriter because they weren't invented then. But you can't prove that Shakespeare wasn't a monkey. Shakespeare could have been a girl monkey. [Referencing an Eddie Izzard skit] With a gun.
TA: You think that Shakespeare could have been a girl monkey with a gun who got lucky?
Me: Yes.
(thanks Shrub - I think it was kismet!)

No comments: