Tuesday, August 17, 2004

taking the shirt from his back
TA is very particular about his shirts – they must be TM Lewin, they absolutely must be double cuff and they must be a lovely colour. He has pale blue shirts, dark blue shirts, lavender and purple shirts – such beautiful colours and such wonderful fabric (mostly he has plain, but recently he's bought a couple of gorgeous patterned shirts). I love these shirts – I love that they remind me of when we were first dating, I love their texture, their weight, their quality and the fact that they have been worn by him. I love these shirts so much that I have been thinking about how glorious it would be to make a quilt out of them: a quilt with big bold squares (plain, unfussy, not to mention quicker and simpler to make). I’ve been daydreaming about winter nights sitting with a needle and thread piecing together a magnificent and decadent quilt.
There are a couple of difficulties however: first, TM Lewin shirts do not wear out, I’ve never seen TA throw one out; and, second, TA is fundamentally opposed to having a patchwork quilt on our bed, thinking them twee and something that should be consigned to the Little House on the Prairie. He’s not against me making a quilt, per se (although I think his shirts are very much off limits until that mythical far-off day when the seams start to fray, or he comes into enough money that he can buy a complete new set) he’s just against a quilt ‘gracing’ the bed that he designed and built. Of course, I’ve pointed out that since I sleep on this bed, which would not necessarily be my first choice of marriage bed – Japanese-style, low to the ground, red lacquered and very, very hard – the least he can do is agree to sleep under my quilt (and he has agreed to the justice of this point) but the fact remains, he is very doubtful of a patchwork quilt’s aesthetic value and looks at me as if I’ve grown a second head whenever I mention it.
So, I’m now thinking of making a quilt out of shirts that are similar to TA’s (bought on the cheap from secondhand shops) and then giving it to his parents as a Christmas present – not really the same thing at all I think you’ll agree – none of the romance, the history, the passion. I’m secretly hoping that once TA sees this quilt he’ll have a change of heart and agree what a beautiful idea it really is…tear his shirts from their hangers, rip his shirt from his back and beg me to transform them – like straw spun into gold – into a quilt that will keep us warm for the rest of our days, a quilt that our children will play under and crawl over and, eventually, inherit.

No comments: