Wednesday, December 01, 2004

turning beetroot red
Beetroot is the new sweetcorn. At the weekend I bought a bag of beetroot (bulbs?) along with my usual quota of veggies and on Sunday I made borscht.

On Sunday TA and I ate this with fresh rosemary bread from the market for both lunch and dinner. I parcelled up the leftovers to bring to work for lunch. I ate borscht on Monday and Tuesday. Yesterday I had a distressing moment in the ladies’, my mind running through all the possible reasons why such a thing might happen – cancer, something worse? – before the answer dawned on me: borscht!

Borscht (feeds the 5000)
Approx 8 beetroots (peeled, half cubed and half grated)
2 carrots (peeled and grated)
2 large potatoes
2 large onions
Any leftover veggies that you can easily disguise! (my haul included some leftover stir-fry from the night before – peppers, leeks, even cashew nuts!)
Lots of garlic (finely chopped)
Fresh beef stock (we use marrow bones to make ours)
Paprika
Chilli flakes
At least one teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
Vodka
Lemon juice
Soured cream
Dill

Lightly fry the onion, garlic and spices. Add the veggies and stock. Simmer gently for several hours. Just before serving add the lemon juice and vodka. Serve with soured cream and dill.

No comments: