Thursday, March 03, 2005

negative positive discrimination
I spent most of this morning creating a template in Word for a prestigious, not-for-profit new business pitch. I asked for a design brief but since none was forthcoming - except, make it multicultural - I ended up muddling through as best I could. The theme was young people and technology. I trawled the image libraries, it's not as easy as you'd think to find pictures of various different types of people using computers - especially when you need them to have a similar composition. By using five different pictures I managed a demographic spread across Afro-Carribean, Asian and Caucasian of both genders. The feedback? "Why include Asians they aren’t really among the most under-privileged groups in the UK – in fact they are doing pretty well. Could we have an Afro-Caribbean and a Caucasian?" Now, ignoring the fact that we did indeed have the three races represented, isn't it wrong that under-privileged should be so rigidly defined by race? I'm never usually instructed to make sure images are multicultural so in this person's mind, underprivileged equals non-white, specifically black. It's enough to make my blood boil.

No comments: