Tuesday, September 13, 2005

homecoming king
I wrangled a working from home day yesterday and even worked a little. I got my hair cut at the weekend and, with Aveda makeup, was looking glamorous in an understated ‘at home’ way. I ran round like a mad thing cleaning the bathroom (the temporary housemate* seems unable to leave the bathroom anything other than filthy every day) and made sure that the bed was made and the bedroom welcoming for a weary traveller. At around midday TA walked through the door and, to my eyes, he looked like a picture of himself; familiar and yet not – hyper-real and in sharp focus. What followed was an almost ritualistic period of re-acquaintance. Where he was I followed and when I left a room, within seconds, he was at my side reaching for my hand. We were both aware that we had some bridge building to do and talked in gentle voices, treating each other like fragile and precious porcelain figures. There was an intricate dance as space that had been all mine was ceded back to him and many, many displays of tender affection. Caresses, kisses, cuddles – it was a good job that none of the housemates were home. We talked and showed each other tokens of our time apart – my new dress was held up to admiring eyes, presents and new clothes were taken out TA’s luggage. We watched a film in bed and sipped Frangelico on ice. Takeout pizza for lunch and dinner at Vinopolis, conversation ebbed and flowed over food and wine. A good day, a precious day. We both slept well but woke tired – “I wish you didn’t have to work today,” he said in a plaintive voice. “Me too,” I almost mewled.
* I may have not explained the revolving door housemate policy before as it’s been too exhausting to figure out, but I think I’ve grasped it now: housemate M had temp housemate to stay for a few days, then temp housemate went to Iceland and M went to Spain. Then M returned with another friend to stay for a few days, meanwhile, temp housemate came back from Iceland. On Sunday, M and friend left to tour Greece and Italy, leaving temp housemate behind for a month. Temp housemate has done little to endear herself to me – so far she has flooded the bathroom, left the bath coated in a layer of scum on multiple occasions, rearranged my groceries in the fridge, requested that I fix the modem when she was connected to the wrong network and couldn’t figure out why she couldn’t get online, played loud music and generally been annoying. (Housemate D has, of course, been banished for quite some time.) So we are currently running two housemates – J (TA’s sister) and the temp housemate.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Help me Dude, I'm lost.

I was searching for Elvis and somehow ended up in your blog, but you know I'm sure I saw Elvis in the supermarket yesterday.

No honest really, he was right there in front of me, next to the steaks singing "Love me Tender".

He said to me (his lip was only slightly curled) "Boy, you need to get yourself a shiny, new plasmatv to go with that blue suede sofa of yours.

But Elvis said I, In the Ghetto nobody has a plasma tv .

Dude I'm All Shook Up said Elvis. I think I'll have me another cheeseburger then I'm gonna go home and ask Michael Jackson to come round and watch that waaaay cool surfing scene in Apocalypse Now on my new plasma tv .

And then he just walked out of the supermarket singing. . .

"You give me love and consolation,
You give me strength to carry on "

Strange day or what? :-)

Plasma Tv Center said...

Hi, Thanks for your interesting blog. Keep up the great work! I also have a site & blog about plasma television, please feel free to visit.