Tuesday, July 11, 2006

it’s good to talk
I call home. My father answers the phone as my mother is watching EastEnders and cannot be disturbed for the next 30 minutes.
Me: Hello!
Dad: Hello! Are you at home?
Me: Yes!
Dad: Are you sitting down?
Me: Yes!
Dad: Have you had your dinner?
Me: Yes!
Dad: Ooh, go on. What did you have?
Me: We had Isle of Wight organic tomatoes with fresh basil, sea salt and olive oil; a salad of raw green beans, chickpeas, apple, celery and smoked garlic mayonnaise; a salad of carrot and beetroot (raw) with honey, lemon and poppy seeds; and then I had a nut cutlet and TA had a lamb burger.
Dad: Did you! Wah…
Me: Yes! It was very nice.
Dad: And now you’re calling your dear old Dad!
Me: Yes! How are you?
Dad: I’m okay thank you. Did I tell you I had a letter from cousin George?
Me: Did you? I didn’t know you had a cousin George!
Dad: He lives in London
[it was a long 30 minutes. EastEnders finally comes to an end]
Me: Hello!
Mum: Hello! You’ve had a long talk with Dad – I expect you’ve heard all our news haven’t you?
Me: Well, Dad asked me what I had for dinner and about a letter from his cousin George.
Mum: Did he? I didn’t know that.
Me: Yes. It was very…interesting. He lives in London, apparently. And Dad sounded very impressed with what we had for dinner. What did you have for dinner?
Mum: Oh, we had roast chicken, mashed potatoes and some beans from the garden.
Me: That sounds nice.
[and so on for 20 minutes]

No comments: