Thursday, November 09, 2006

all the vows I never made
The inevitable alarm went off this morning as it does every morning and my morning battle began. Can I make myself leave the warmth? Perhaps, but only with the lure of fresh coffee and the Today programme. Can I be bothered to wash my hair? My feet followed their familiar morning dance without troubling my brain for instruction. I was rinsing away the Aveda Shampure (a reassuring decadence and one I sacrifice haircuts to fund) under scolding-hot water before my brain went from hibernate to active duty.
I do love a good, rough towel – I like to slough off sleep with vigour. Moving with fresh purpose, I turned on the radio and checked on the coffee. Today is a good day. Today is a surprise, it’s good to still be in the race; there have been times recently when I assumed we wouldn’t be.
Humphrey Lyttleton’s voice! Can it be? No more Quote sodding Unquote on Monday nights! I’m Sorry, I Haven’t a Clue. Thank the sweet baby Jesus and all the angels. The coffee is ready, the banana was lovely, my yoghurt creamy. I take TA his cup.
“Happy anniversary, sweetheart.”
He looked up and smiled, “We got here after all.”
Some promises are left unspoken, but are no less binding for that. There is no ring, no witness, no service that could bind me as tightly to TA as living our love for each other each and every day has done.

No comments: