Saturday, November 25, 2006

discombobulated
All change! Today was moving day at the office – I’ve worked here for two-and-a-half years and have sat at five different desks in three different offices. At least today I was only moving from one side of the office to the other; no big deal, or so I thought.
My closest friend at work has had a complete meltdown, it seems that asking her to move desk the week after her mate did a runner to South America was asking too much. She refused to join us for lunch today, which is totally out of character. If it wasn’t for the fact that her Shuffle is still on her desk I’d think she’d decided to do a flit too.
My new desk is in the middle of a whole set, meaning that now many people can see my screens (I have two, like the greedy id girl TA claims I am) – I’d like to say that my unease is due to the desk’s inherent bad feng shui, but I’d be lying. I’m afraid. I’m afraid that people will see what I’m doing and that means that I’ll have to start doing work (or at least pretending with more emphasis). Also, my desk now faces a television screen that shows BBC News 24. Thankfully, it is muted…but still I can see it flickering on the periphery and my eyes are constantly drawn upwards. Oh dear. Finally, I’ve got into a routine of calling TA at lunch time when my team mates head out. I’m worried that my proximity to new neighbours, including one of the senior management team, won’t allow this freedom.
It’s not quite enough to make me polish up my CV yet. Not quite, but nearly.

No comments: