Tuesday, January 29, 2008

afterbirth
I’m not sure quite what I was expecting, but I don’t think that this is it. Sure, there’s the clichéd tiredness, of course, and there were tearful days as the preg hormones left my system, but the rest? So far it’s been an odd combination of fear, anxiety and bewilderment.
Perhaps it is difficult to love a baby who makes nipples bleed - this is an understatement, the last two weeks have seen me lose skin and contract mastitis - or perhaps it’s just that parental love feels like fear and bewilderment a lot of the time.

2 comments:

Carroll said...

Oh, and just wait 'til he turns into a teenager. Anxiety, you say??

Sounds like you're right about on schedule to me. Once he starts really smiling at you, then you'll be hooked for life :-)

Warpgirl said...

Hang in there, Ms Badger. It's not just the physical side but perhaps the biggest change in your lives since marriage and change can knock you for six regardless. Don't forget to ask for help, you'd be surprised how helpful those friends and relations can be when you need a hand.

Cheers
Warpgirl